The accredited distance learning course for senior staff responsible for assessing competence, auditing medicines and managing medicines errors and incidents.
Competency Assessment for Children’s Services & Residential Schools
An accredited online competency assessment to reliably assess the competence of staff in Children’s Services & Residential Schools.
About This Course
This competency assessment combines the features of our foundation and advanced online competency assessments and is suitable for:
- Managers who want to assess the competency of their staff who work in children’s services or residential schools
- Staff members who want to make sure they are competent in medicines handling
- Senior staff who are training to become an assessor (in combination with the Children’s Services and Schools Advanced Distance Learning Workbook) and who want to “assess the assessor”.
Click below for more information
- Course Information
How it works:
The online competency assessment takes about 30 minutes to complete.
How the competency assessment can benefit your care organisation:
- Can evidence to the regulator who is competent to handle medicines within your organisation
- Time and cost saving -no longer need to assign a senior member of staff to assess competence
- Provides a consistent approach to competency assessment
- Can be used as part of your recruitment process to ensure new staff meet your standards
This course is:
- Accredited by CPD
- Endorsed by Skills for Care
- Developed by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with CQC/ Ofsted requirements
- Evidenced by a Learning Needs Report on completion
Competency Assessments£25 + VAT per licence We offer the following discounted rates:
- £22.50 + VAT per licence for orders of 10 or more of the same licence.
- £20 + VAT per licence for orders of 100 or more of the same licence.
How long do the courses take?
Most of our face to face courses are half day (3-hour) sessions with a qualified Pharmacist trainer at your venue. Some supplementary courses, such as buccal midazolam & epilepsy or Epipen & adrenaline auto-injector administration, are 2-hour sessions.
Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes.
Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are OPUS courses accredited?
Yes! All of our courses and services are accredited by CPD, and we are a Skills for Care Endorsed Training Provider.
Where do courses take place?
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and iPads.
Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Our face to face courses are for small groups of up to 16 learners.
Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will receive their certificate via email following the training, usually within 7 days.
With distance learning, simply pop your completed assessment in the post or scan it in and email it to us for marking and your certificate will be emailed to you for you to print off and keep.
How long does my certificate last for?
For most courses, certificates have a recommended refresher of 2 years.
Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and OPUS offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.
How do I get set up for E-learning?
How many E-learning licences do I need and how long do they last?
Advanced Distance Learning & Resource Pack for Schools & Children’s Services: Competency Assessment, Auditing and Management of Medication IncidentsAdd to basket
Safe Handling of Medicines (Foundation) Course for Children’s ServicesView products
e-Learning / Face to Face