An accredited medicines foundation course to update nurses on current procedures and guidance.
Online Competency Assessment for the Administration of Medicines
An accredited online tool to reliably assess the competence of your staff. Suitable for staff of all levels from any care service or school. Content is tailored to your care setting/ school once you enter the online competency assessment.
About This Course
Click Here to Download Our Information Sheet
Click below for more information
- Course Information
What Does this Competency Assessment Achieve?
- Helps organisations meet their obligation to competency assess staff at least annually
- Demonstrates a delegate’s ability to implement their knowledge of the safe administration of medicines through real-life scenarios
- Identifies an individual’s areas for growth and improvement in the safe handling of medicines.
Areas of Competence Assessed
- Administration of tablets and capsules
- Administration of eye drops
- Administration of nose drops
- Administration of creams
- Administration of inhalers
- Recording on a MAR
- Following correct storage requirements
- Handling Controlled Drugs
- Managing the refusal of medicines
- Handling PRN medicines
- Knowing when to report issues with medicines
- Assessing the need for covert administration
- Following dosage requirements
- Avoiding running out of medicine
- Undertaking the correct administration procedures
- Administration of transdermal patches
- Identifying errors in recording
- Identifying types of medicines support
- Handling of non-prescribed medicines and homely
- Checking for allergies
- Understanding the need for accessibility of emergency
- Recognising the 6 rights of administration
This course is:
- Accredited by CPD
- Developed by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with CQC requirements
- Evidenced by a Learning Needs Report on completion
Remember to check out our free downloadable resources.
E-learning£30 + VAT per licence We offer the following discounted rates: £27.50 + VAT per licence for orders of 10 or more of the same licence. £25 + VAT per licence for orders of 100 or more of the same licence.
How long do the courses take?
Most of our face to face courses are half day (3-hour) sessions with a qualified Pharmacist trainer at your venue. Some supplementary courses, such as buccal midazolam & epilepsy or Epipen & adrenaline auto-injector administration, are 2-hour sessions. Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes. Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are OPUS courses accredited?
Yes! All of our courses and services are accredited by CPD, and we are a Skills for Care Endorsed Training Provider.
Where do courses take place?
Face to face sessions are held at your venue, providing extra convenience for your staff. We have Pharmacist trainers across the UK so no region is too remote or too far!
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and iPads. Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Our face to face courses are for small groups of up to 10 learners or we can provide training for larger groups of up to 16- whichever works for you! Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For e-learning courses- straight away! Once you’ve successfully completed the end of course assessment, you will be able to print off your certificate immediately.
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will receive their certificate via email following the training, usually within 7 days. With distance learning, simply pop your completed assessment in the post or scan it in and email it to us for marking and your certificate will be emailed to you for you to print off and keep.
How long does my certificate last for?
For most courses, certificates have a recommended refresher of 2 years. Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and OPUS offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.
How do I get set up for E-learning?
Simply purchase through our shop! Once we’ve received your details, you will receive an email with login details from our support team. Follow the instructions and you’re ready to go!
If you are purchasing more than one licence for an organisation, you may want to assign someone from your organisation to issue passwords to your staff and to print certificates. This person will be termed as a group "manager/instructor”. Provide the instructor’s name and email during checkout and they will receive all login details they need by email.
How many E-learning licences do I need and how long do they last?
Each individual learner needs their own licence. Licences last 1 year from the date they are allocated to a user (NOT from the date of purchase) so if you have staff you will need to train in the future, you can purchase a bundle of licences to take advantage of our discounted rates and allocate them to staff as and when they are needed.