The accredited paper-based distance learning course for senior staff responsible for assessing competence, auditing medicines and managing medicines errors and incidents.
Safe Handling of Medicines (Foundation) Course for Day Care
The accredited course you need to enable staff to administer medicines safely or support people with their medicines in day care, following a competency assessment.
About This Course
For face-to-face training options, please contact us on 0333 939 0053 or email [email protected]
Click below for more information
- Course Information
Are your staff fully trained to handle medicines and identify risks? To handle medicines safely, best practice requires that Day Care staff are trained and competent in administering medicines. Our Safe Handling of Medicines course for Day Care staff ensures your staff are fully trained and up to date with best practice guidance to help reduce medicines errors and incidents. The accredited course you need to enable staff to administer medicines safely or support people with their medicines in day care.
- Levels of support with medicines
- Family-filled dosette boxes
- Non-prescribed/ over-the-counter medication
- Administration (including basic hygiene)
- Recording administration of medicines
- Recording verbal prompts
- Covert administration
- Recognising and reporting side effects
- Side effects of commonly prescribed drugs
- Importance of dose timings
- How to use eye drops, patches, inhalers, creams etc.
- Legal issues
- Compliance aids
- Understanding dosage instructions
- Principles of a medication policy
- How to reduce medication errors
- Expiry dates
This course is:
- Accredited by CPD
- Developed and presented by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with best practice requirements
- Evidenced by a certificate of successful completion
- £595 + VAT for groups of up to 16 delegates
- Equates to £37 per delegate
Face to Face Training
- £675 + VAT for groups of up to 16 delegates
- Equates to less than £43 per delegate
- Travel costs may apply
- £38.50 + VAT per licence
- We offer the following discounted prices:
- £33.50 + VAT per licence for orders of 10 or more of the same licence
- £30 + VAT per licence for orders of 100 or more of the same licence
Distance Learning Workbook Pack*
- £45 per workbook pack (includes workbooks 1 and 2)
- We offer the following discounted prices:
- £40 for orders of 10 workbook packs or more
- £35 for orders of 100 workbook packs or more
*Prices excluding postage. No VAT charged.
How long do the courses take?
We offer full day Foundation courses (6 hours) and also can combine any two 3-hour courses to create a full day session.
Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes.
Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are OPUS courses accredited?
Where do courses take place?
Virtual learning sessions are accessed via Zoom link and are presented by a Pharmacist-trainer.
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and iPads.
Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will be able to access their certificates within 48 hours of the course via our Online Learning Zone.
Virtual learning certificates are available immediately upon successful completion of the assessment via our Online Learning Zone.
How long does my certificate last for?
Competency assessments certificates are valid for 1 year in line with CQC guidance. Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and OPUS offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.
How do I get set up for E-learning?
If you are purchasing more than one licence for an organisation, you may want to assign someone from your organisation to issue passwords to your staff and to print certificates. This person will be termed as a group "manager/instructor”. Provide the instructor’s name and email during checkout and they will receive all login details they need by email.