Evidence to CQC on who is competent to handle medicines within your organisation.
Skills for Care have advised that during the COVID-19 pandemic, competency assessments must continue to take place annually.
If there are any concerns over a worker's competence, they must not administer medicines until they have undertaken further training and been signed off as competent. The required training may be delivered online.
Our online competency assessments are:
- Accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society;
- Easily set up and allocated to staff members, as and when required
- Completed in approximately 30 minutes - 1 hour
- Usable on any web-based device
- Evidenced by a learning needs report (received immediately).
Did You Know?
I want to train to become an assessor
To become an assessor and be able to assess the competency of others in medication handling, you will need to undertake:
- the Advanced Distance Learning Workbook - this gives you the training to become a medicines assessor
- the Advanced Online Competency Assessment - this allows you to “assess the assessor”
I want to make sure I am competent
To assess your own competence, you will need to undertake:
- the Foundation Online Competency Assessment if you are new to medicines administration
- the Advanced Online Competency Assessment if you are experienced in medicines administration or are a Registered Nurse.
Alternatively you may be assessed in the workplace by a senior member of staff who has an in-date certificate for assessing competence in medicines handling
I need to assess the competence of my staff
To assess the competence of your staff, you will need to choose the method of competency assessment that suits you best. You can:
- Use the Foundation Online Competency Assessment for staff who are new to medicines administration
- Use the Advanced Online Competency Assessment for staff who are experienced in medicines administration or are Registered Nurses
- Assess your staff in the workplace using a competency assessment tool. The assessor must have an in-date certificate for assessing competence in medicines handling