Accredited course providing Managers & Senior Staff with the skills and techniques to effectively assess the competence of their staff to administer medicines safely. Suitable for Managers and Senior Staff in adult services and children’s services.
Administering & Witnessing Controlled Drugs
The accredited course you need to enable staff to safely administer and witness Controlled Drugs, and understand the issues surrounding them.
About This Course
Click below for more information
- Course Information
Do your staff administer or witness Controlled Drugs? It is important for staff to fully understand the Controlled Drugs they administer in order to ensure the safety of the people they support. Our Administering & Witnessing Controlled Drugs course trains staff to be able to:
- Describe what Controlled Drugs are and how they are classified
- Describe the requirements for storing, administering, and disposing of Controlled Drugs (CDs)
- Demonstrate how to complete and maintain CD records
- Describe the process for auditing CDs
- Recognise potential problems and how to avoid / overcome them
The accredited course you need to enable staff to safely administer, record and witness Controlled Drugs.
- Schedules of Controlled Drugs and their requirements
- Types of Controlled Drugs medicines
- Case studies on fentanyl, morphine, oxycodone
- Methylphenidate and the difference between brands
- Top tips for ordering,collecting,checking in,storing,administering,
- Activities to practice recording in the CD register
- Top tips for setting up a CD register, recording receipt and disposal of CDs
- Ongoing use of the CD register
- Balance checking
- Auditing CDs
- How to handle discrepancies
- Activities on reducing the likelihood of medicines errors with CDs
This course is:
- Accredited by CPD
- Developed and presented by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with CQC requirements
- Evidenced by a certificate of successful completion
- £595 + VAT for up to 16 delegates
- Equates to £37 per delegate
Face to Face Training
- £675 + VAT for up to 16 delegates
- Equates to less than £43 per delegate
- Travel costs may apply
How long do the courses take?
We offer full day Foundation courses (6 hours) and also can combine any two 3-hour courses to create a full day session.
Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes.
Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are OPUS courses accredited?
Where do courses take place?
Virtual learning sessions are accessed via Zoom link and are presented by a Pharmacist-trainer.
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and iPads.
Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will be able to access their certificates within 48 hours of the course via our Online Learning Zone.
Virtual learning certificates are available immediately upon successful completion of the assessment via our Online Learning Zone.
How long does my certificate last for?
Competency assessments certificates are valid for 1 year in line with CQC guidance. Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and OPUS offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.
How do I get set up for E-learning?
If you are purchasing more than one licence for an organisation, you may want to assign someone from your organisation to issue passwords to your staff and to print certificates. This person will be termed as a group "manager/instructor”. Provide the instructor’s name and email during checkout and they will receive all login details they need by email.