The accredited distance learning course for senior staff responsible for assessing competence, auditing medicines and managing medicines errors and incidents.
Safe Handling of Medicines (Refresher) Course for Children’s Services
An accredited refresher course to update you on current procedures and guidance. Suitable for those who have already been trained.
About This Course
For face-to-face training options, please contact us on 0333 939 0053 or email [email protected]
Click below for more information
- Course Information
Suitable for people who have previously completed the foundation course or whose certificate is about to expire.
Is it time for your staff to refresh their medicines training? It is important for staff to have up to date knowledge of medicines handling and administration in order to remain confident and competent in the workplace and to reduce the likelihood of medicines errors. Our Refresher course covers:
- Latest guidance and legislation
- Potential problems with medicines and how to avoid/ overcome them
- Safe procedures for handling medicines to ensure your staff are trained and up to date.
An accredited refresher course to update you on current procedures and guidance. Suitable for people who have previously completed the foundation course or whose certificate is about to expire.
- Legal issues
- Principles of a medicines policy
- Storage Administration and Handling
- 6 Rights of administration
- Procedure for administration
- Covert administration
- Routes of administration
- Homely remedies and over the counter medication
- Expiry dates
- Importance of audit
- Receiving medicines into the service
- Risk assessment
- Medicines handling for day trips/ social leave
- Verbal orders
- Emergency / interim supplies
- Dose changes
- Controlled Drug recording
- Medicine errors
This course is:
- Accredited by CPD
- Developed and presented by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with Ofsted requirements
- Evidenced by a certificate of successful completion
- £595 + VAT for up to 16 delegates
- Equates to £37 per delegate
Face to Face Training
- £675 + VAT for up to 16 delegates
- Equates to less than £43 per delegate
- Travel costs may apply
£30 + VAT per licence
We offer the following discounted prices:
- £27.50 + VAT per licence for orders of 10 or more of the same licence.
- £25 + VAT per licence for orders of 100 or more of the same licence.
Please get in touch to find out about further discounts for larger orders.
How long do the courses take?
Most of our face to face courses are half day (3-hour) sessions with a qualified Pharmacist trainer at your venue. Some supplementary courses, such as buccal midazolam & epilepsy or Epipen & adrenaline auto-injector administration, are 2-hour sessions.
Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes.
Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are OPUS courses accredited?
Yes! All of our courses and services are accredited by CPD, and we are a Skills for Care Endorsed Training Provider.
Where do courses take place?
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and iPads.
Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Our face to face courses are for small groups of up to 16 learners.
Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will receive their certificate via email following the training, usually within 7 days.
With distance learning, simply pop your completed assessment in the post or scan it in and email it to us for marking and your certificate will be emailed to you for you to print off and keep.
How long does my certificate last for?
For most courses, certificates have a recommended refresher of 2 years.
Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and OPUS offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.