Innovative online competency assessment suitable for assessing competence of staff who regularly administer medicines. Also suitable for managers and senior staff who wish to evidence their own competency as well as assess their staff.
Safe Handling of Medicines (Foundation) Course for Extra Care & Supported Living
The accredited course you need to enable staff to administer medicines or support people with their medicines in an extra care or supported living setting.
About This Course
For face-to-face training options, please contact us on 0333 939 0053 or email [email protected]
Click below for more information
- Course Information
Do your staff prompt or administer medicines? NICE Guidance requires that ‘home care workers have the knowledge and skills needed to perform their duties safely’. Our Safe Handling of Medicines Foundation course ensures all staff are fully trained and up to date with best practice guidance to handle medicines safely and reduce medicines errors and incidents. The accredited course you need to enable staff to administer medicines or support people with their medicines in an extra care or supported living setting.
- Levels of support with medicines
- Family-filled dosette boxes
- Non-prescribed/over-the-counter medication
- Administration (including basic hygiene)
- Recording administration of medicines
- Recording verbal prompts
- Covert administration
- Recognising and reporting side effects
- Side effects of commonly prescribed drugs
- Importance of dose timings
- How to use eye drops, patches, inhalers, creams etc.
- Legal issues
- Compliance aids
- Understanding dosage instructions
- Principles of a medication policy
- How to reduce medication errors
- Expiry dates
This course is:
- Accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Developed and presented by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with CQC requirements
- Evidenced by a certificate of successful completion
Face to Face Course
- £490 + VAT for groups of up to 10 delegates
- We offer a discounted rate of £525 + VAT for groups of up to 16 delegates
- £35 + VAT per licence
- We offer the following discounted prices:
- £30 + VAT per licence for orders of 10 or more of the same licence
- £25 + VAT per licence for orders of 100 or more of the same licence
Distance Learning Workbook Pack*
- £40 per workbook pack (includes workbooks 1 and 2)
- We offer the following discounted prices:
- £35 for orders of 10 workbook packs or more
- £30 for orders of 100 workbook packs or more
How long do the courses take?
Most of our face to face courses are half day (3-hour) sessions with a qualified Pharmacist trainer at your venue. Some supplementary courses, such as buccal midazolam & epilepsy or Epipen & adrenaline auto-injector administration, are 2-hour sessions.
Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes.
Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are Opus courses accredited?
Yes! All of our courses and services are accredited by CPD, and we are a Skills for Care Endorsed Training Provider.
Where do courses take place?
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and Ipads.
Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Our face to face courses are for small groups of up to 10 learners or we can provide training for larger groups of up to 16- whichever works for you!
Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will receive their certificate via email following the training, usually within 7 days.
With distance learning, simply pop your completed assessment in the post or scan it in and email it to us for marking and your certificate will be emailed to you for you to print off and keep.
How long does my certificate last for?
For most courses, certificates have a recommended refresher of 2 years.
Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and Opus offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.