Accredited course providing Managers & Senior Staff with the skills and techniques to effectively assess the competence of their staff to administer medicines safely. Suitable for Managers and Senior Staff in adult services and children’s services.
Designed for staff who are responsible for transcribing medicines information onto MAR sheets.
About This Course
Click below for more information
- Course Information
This accredited 3-hour competency-based practical session enables staff to:
- Accurately copy information from the label to the MAR sheet
- Understand when it is appropriate to transcribe
- Record numbers, units and doses in the correct formats
- Identify areas of risk with transcribing
- Comprehensive workbooks and resources are issued to all delegates.
- When is it appropriate to transcribe?
- When is it not appropriate to transcribe?
- How to record numbers
- How to number the MAR charts
- How to record small volumes
- How units should be expressed
- How doses should be written
- How to record medicines with the same name
- Understanding the details on the medicines label
- Updating MAR sheets
- Transcribing of dose changes
- What are the risks?
- Warfarin and high-risk medicines
- Discontinued and continued medicines
- Accuracy checking
- Practical MAR sheet exercises
- Best practice to avoid errors
- Competency Assessment
This course is:
- Accredited by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Developed and presented by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with current best practice
- Evidenced by a certificate of successful completion following an assessment at the end of the course
Comprehensive workbooks and resources are issued to all delegates.
- £595 + VAT for groups of up to 10 delegates
Face to Face Training
- £675 + VAT for groups of up to 10 delegates
- Travel costs may apply
How long do the courses take?
Most of our face to face courses are half day (3-hour) sessions with a qualified Pharmacist trainer at your venue. Some supplementary courses, such as buccal midazolam & epilepsy or Epipen & adrenaline auto-injector administration, are 2-hour sessions.
Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes.
Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are OPUS courses accredited?
Yes! All of our courses and services are accredited by CPD, and we are a Skills for Care Endorsed Training Provider.
Where do courses take place?
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and iPads.
Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Our face to face courses are for small groups of up to 16 learners.
Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will receive their certificate via email following the training, usually within 7 days.
With distance learning, simply pop your completed assessment in the post or scan it in and email it to us for marking and your certificate will be emailed to you for you to print off and keep.
How long does my certificate last for?
For most courses, certificates have a recommended refresher of 2 years.
Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and OPUS offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.