The accredited paper-based distance learning course for senior staff responsible for assessing competence, auditing medicines and managing medicines errors and incidents.
Full Day Safe Handling of Medicines (Foundation) Course for Children’s Services
The accredited Full Day Safe Handling of Medicines (Foundation) Course covering all aspects of handling medicines within a children’s service. Skills for Care recommend that staff renew their training annually.
About This Course
For face-to-face training options, please contact us on 0333 939 0053 or email [email protected]
Click below for more information
- Course Information
Our accredited Full Day Safe Handling of Medicines (Foundation) Course covers all aspects of handling medicines within a children’s service. It provides delegates with the knowledge required to handle medicines safely in line with their organisation’s medicines policy and procedures. It also includes a range of practical activities to increase delegates confidence and competence when handling medicines.
By the end of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Describe the safe procedures for handling medicines
- Demonstrate how to administer medicines safely and effectively
- Describe the practical challenges of administration
- Explain how to use and maintain medicine records
- Recognise potential problems of medicines in use and how to avoid/overcome them
This course includes the following:
- Covert administration
- Homely remedies and over the counter medicines
- The importance of dose timings
- How to use eye drops, patches, inhalers, creams etc.
- Understanding dosage instructions
- Medicines for short stay and school trips
- Principles of a medicines policy
- Specialist tasks
- How to reduce medicines errors
- Reporting refusals, side effects and errors
- Expiry dates
- Legal issues
- In-depth look at dosage forms with extra case studies for tablets, inhalers and transdermal patches
- MAR recording exercises, covering PRN
- Spotting error exercises
- Additional time for discussion and reflection
- Focus on the application of learning
This course is:
- Accredited by CPD
- Developed and presented by qualified Pharmacist trainers
- Compliant with Ofsted requirements
- Evidenced by a certificate of successful completion
Virtual Learning Course£1050 + VAT for up to 16 delegates. Course presented by a qualified Pharmacist trainer via Zoom.
Face to Face Course£1190 + VAT for up to 16 delegates Presented by a qualified Pharmacist trainer at your venue. Travel costs may apply.
How long do the courses take?
We offer full day Foundation courses (6 hours) and also can combine any two 3-hour courses to create a full day session.
Our Foundation e-learning courses take between 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. Competency Assessments and Refresher courses take approximately 1 hour and Bite-size courses take approximately 30 minutes.
Our distance learning workbooks can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
Are OPUS courses accredited?
Where do courses take place?
Virtual learning sessions are accessed via Zoom link and are presented by a Pharmacist-trainer.
E-learning courses are completed online and can be used on any internet-enabled device, including Macs, PCs and iPads.
Distance Learning Workbooks are posted promptly to an address of your choosing. Larger order can be couriered to you or sent recorded delivery.
How many people can attend a Face to Face course?
Manager’s courses are undertaken in smaller groups of up to 10 delegates.
When do I get my certificate?
For our face to face courses, the trainer will mark your assessments and all successful delegates will be able to access their certificates within 48 hours of the course via our Online Learning Zone.
Virtual learning certificates are available immediately upon successful completion of the assessment via our Online Learning Zone.
How long does my certificate last for?
Competency assessments certificates are valid for 1 year in line with CQC guidance. Skills for Care guidance recommends that training be updated at least annually and OPUS offers online competency assessments which can be used a year after your training for this purpose and refresher courses which can be completed when your certificate expires.
How do I get set up for E-learning?
If you are purchasing more than one licence for an organisation, you may want to assign someone from your organisation to issue passwords to your staff and to print certificates. This person will be termed as a group “manager/instructor”. Provide the instructor’s name and email during checkout and they will receive all login details they need by email.